These 6 tips will help make your next ski outing both fun and safe!
- Use the proper equipment. It’s always a good idea to make a checklist of the gear you will need. When it comes to important pieces like the skis themselves, never borrow equipment unless you are positive that it is the right size/fit for you.
- Go with a group. It’s never safe to ski alone–you should always have at least one person with you in order to assist each other in the case of an emergency.
- Exercise and stay in shape. Skiing is a physically demanding activity that requires strong form, stamina, and general fitness. By staying in shape year-round, you’ll be better prepared to handle the challenges and dangers that skiing presents.
- Prepare for the weather. Freezing weather can make skiing uncomfortable or dangerous for people who don’t come prepared–always check the forecast before deciding what clothes and what equipment to bring. What’s more, if there is a chance for severe storms, it’s always a better idea to play it safe and reschedule your outing for a different day.
- Understand your abilities. It’s important to take a critical look at your own skiing abilities and to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you have passed your own limits. For beginners, it’s highly recommendable that you seek instruction the first time you hit the slopes.
- Stay hydrated. Though dehydration is sometimes associated only with hot-weather sports, the truth is that skiing is a demanding activity that can cause dehydration–especially if you don’t make a conscious effort to drink liquid. Water is always the best option, however you should also know that the often-repeated “fact” about caffeinated beverages causing dehydration is nothing more than a myth. The Mayo Clinic states that, though caffeine does have a mild diuretic effect (i.e. it increases urination,) it does not increase the risk of dehydration–and in fact, caffeinated beverages can be used in moderation to hydrate. So feel free to stay hydrated and warm with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
At Beacon Watch we believe that all sporting activities should be both fun and safe–which is why we build the next generation of sensible sporting technology. Check out our amazing line of products today!